Saturday, May 08, 2010

Mother's Day Sequestering

It's the day before Mother's day and I've been sequestered to my room so the kids can make construction paper cards for me. I suppose it's a good thing they want to make cards for me, it means I haven't totally screwed them up; right? I'll admit my kids don't always like me, but I'm not here to be their friend.
It's a mother's job to raise up adults. Adults that are capable of functioning in the world, of contributing to their society, and of raising up another generation of adults. When did we forget that children will not forever be children? That the temper tantrums we allow today will be the same one thrown tomorrow. Yeah it's cute how Suzie's bottom lip sticks out and quivers just a little, that same look isn't so cute on a 16yr, even less so on a 30yr. Why are parents so hesitant to tell their children no? or to allow them to struggle, suffer or stumble? How will they learn the stove is hot if they are never allowed within 10 feet of it? Shouldn't we be using these years to help them navigate the dangers of the world?
There are so many aweful things I wish I could hide my children away from forever but how would that help them? It's my job to give them a firm foundation of beliefs to stand on and then help them learn how to navigate the dangerous waters of this world. I can't do that if I never let them get in the pool. Yes, they may get a little water up their nose, they may cough and sputter a few times, they may even get a little scared, but that is how they learn. I'm right there to pull them out if need be, and I'll show them all the swim strokes and safe places, but I have to give them the opportunity or they'll never be able to swim. Then what? What if they never learn to swim? Someday they'll be out in the ocean and I won't be here to pull them out and the sharks and undertows are much more dangerous out there in the ocean than they are here in the pool.
I don't claim to be the perfect mother, I know I fail more often than not. I can only pray that as I stumble down this path of motherhood that in the end I have adults that are proud to call me mother and that they don't need too much therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home