Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanks Jan

One Birth, One Woman at a Time I was reading this article, it's one I chose to comment on for my studies with AAMI I was inspired, Jan is such a wise woman, full of inspiration and support. This article is a wonderful reminder of why we do what we do. I’ve recently had a string of “bad” births, epidural and vacuum assist, 2 c-sections, and my preceptor had to call child protective services on a mother who refused to take her failure to thrive baby into the hospital. With all this I sat back and wondered what am I doing? What’s the point? But as Jan pointed out, I have changed people’s lives, even these women who had less than ideal circumstances, their lives, their ideas about birth were changed. Their family’s ideas were changed and I even think I made an impression on a nurse or two.
It’s hard to keep going when you feel like you’re stumbling along. But I look up from the dirt I’ve fallen into and I see the light in a woman’s eyes who sees something new, who has hope for something better and I have strength to pick myself up, dust myself off and get on with my work. This is the work God has for me, I often feel like He’s trusted me with too much, I can’t possibly live up to it, and then I’m reminded I don’t have to do it alone, I have all my sisters in birth working along side me. Together we can create a better world for the motherbaby dyad.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home