Friday, November 02, 2007

This is a test........ a test of the midwife family system

It all started Tuesday morning around 2:00 am (yes I was still awake) when I discovered my 3yr had a fever, about 102. I went back to bed and got up around 7:15, I needed to leave by 8 to get to clinic in time. Shortly before leaving I realized my 5yr was also running a fever. I looked at my husband and said "sorry", he smiled and assured me it would be fine.
Clinic went well, everyone was running a bit early. Around, 4:00 D called and said she was having contractions 3 mins apart. I thought this was great! I wouldn't have to make the drive back up, how convenient. Well, D was only a 2 but convinced something was going on, they went to walk the mall and I went to get some errands ran. Around 10 they decided not much was going on and they were going to go home. I decided I was tired and had some work I needed to catch up on, so rather than make the drive down I'd just stay the night at the center. I got to bed around 1am and even though my alarm went off at 8 I didn't get up till 10. By the time I got cleaned up and food I needed to head down to Lawton for my doula client. I was to go with her to meet her doctor and discuss induction. Her appointment ended up being 2 hours because the doctor wanted a stress test done. Half way through her appointment Margarrett called to let me know D's water broke. So after I finished with my client I called home and asked my husband if he was sure that midwifery was the path I as supposed to be on. LOL After letting him know I would be in the city most of the night he told me to have fun. He also informed me that all six of the kids were now sick and he was too.
I get up to the birth center just a few minutes before D & K. They get in and get settled and I could tell we were in for a long night. D says her contractions are really close and really intense but after talking with her for 20 mins. I didn't notice a single contraction. I called Anne to let her know they were here and she asked to call if anything changed but otherwise she'd be there in a bit, (she really wanted to take her kids trick or treating)An hour or so later D mentions a slightly green discharge, she's still not having contractions. Her pressure was up slightly and she was spilling a tad of protein. I called Anne to update her and she got there about an hour later. D had fresh mec and still no contractions. We discussed options and choose to go with herbal and homeopathic inducers, monitor the baby (who had great tones), the mec and mom's temp. Everything went great and we eventually got a good labor pattern established. A tiny baby boy was born at 2:49 am. Much earlier than I anticipated! His actual birth was amazingly quick, there was a silver dollar amount of head visible and I was trying to give Anne gel for perineum support when all of a sudden there was baby! He literally just flew out!

Baby had some retractions and some grunting, Anne gave him oxygen (though his color was great) and it reduced considerably in the next hour.(For more info on this look up Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn). Mom also seemed to have a little trouble, she was getting big clots that she was having trouble expelling and it was really hurting her back. When we finally got her up she was light headed and felt faint in the bathroom. Amazingly she only had two little tears.

Baby boy weighed in at 5lbs exactly, he had a few markers of being post dates and few of being early. He looked premature and had very little fat on him, but mom had spent her whole pregnancy vomiting so it's not entirely surprising.

Everyone left around 6 and I went to bed, fitfully sleeping till 11ish. I woke up nauseous, I think Anne's kids may have passed on their virus. So after, showering getting food, cleaning up and running to the store for things we needed at home I got back to the house Thursday evening about 6pm. I went to bed at 7 and got up Friday at noon. The house wasn't even much of a mess and the kids were all still alive. So I guess we (as a family) can do this. If they can get along fine with everyone being sick and mom gone for 3 days in a row, I think we passed the test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home