Thursday, August 03, 2006

yet more on licensure

I'm sure this is a topic that could go on and on but I want to explore the comments made on my last post...

Maybe it's just the way my state is going about this that has my panties in a twist.
See the way the bill reads right now there would not be an option for waivers, there wouldn't even be a specific standard of care consistantly in place. At least not guaranteed... The bill gives power to the health department with recommendations from a board that is primarily midwives, though there are two doctors and a parent (or maybe it's two parents). So my issue is that the board only gives recommendation and that the way the bill is written it is all together feasible that the health department could change on a whim what the scope of practice is. Yes it's not likely, and it's a pretty good bet that the board will have a good influence on the health department and it's a pretty good bet that once the scope and practice are laid out that they'll stay that way. BUT IT'S NOT GUARANTEED! and I really don't want to "bet" with what I see as my path... And the way it's written now there is no provision for patients who disagree with the scope and practice, no waiver to get them past it. If a client and midwife agree that 44wks is fine there is nothing to allow the client to choose that without still endangering the license of the midwife.
I'm trying to remain optimistic, the bill still hasn't passed and as far as I know it hasn't even been argued. It's all together possible it'll just fade into the distance and we can go on as we are.

I don't have issue with certification. I think it's an awesome choice for a midwife to have and a way to carry her abilities on her shirt sleeve so to speak. I think that certification (sitting the NARM) should be enough, why do states need to take it any further? I mean do you learn more by being licensed by your state? Probably not, as you prove your abilities to the state through the credentials you already have. It might be different if they required you to go through classes etc. to obtain licensure then you could say that as a licensed CPM you have added education over the non-licensed CPM but a CPM is a CPM regardless of CA or NY it's just a matter of what their state is trying to regulate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home