Friday, March 14, 2008

Births Update

This is going to be long, you've been warned!

I only got called to two January births...

A, young, first baby, lives an equal distance from me as she does from Margarett, so when she suspected labor I (the lackey) got called to see how she was doing. (In M's defense she thought I was closer) I get there and she tells me her water broke. She's working through contractions, seemingly difficult ones, so after a bit I checked her, she's a fingertip and not at all effaced and baby is still floating very high. I suggest she try Benaydral to get some sleep, she opted for Valarian root capsules. I left about an hour later with her and her hubby sleeping. The next day Anne and I go out there after clinic and find that she's still contracting pretty hard, but she's not making any progress. After verifying that her water was broke the decision was made that she should go to the hospital, OU was chosen after her doctor told her that he'd section her right away if she came to the local hospital. Anne went with her to the hospital and I went home. She got Pit. and IV antibiotics and had a healthy baby boy on her hands and knees the next afternoon.

J, also young, also first baby. We barely made it to J's birth and I love to tell the reason why! She called Margarett when labor started but assured her she wasn't needed yet. M talked to her a couple of times and each time J said she didn't need her yet. Well after we got there and Anne caught the baby 5 mins after we walked in the door, we asked J why she didn't call \us to come sooner and she said "I kept waiting for it to get horrible" Oh how I love that!! She had heard such horror stories that she thought for sure labor couldn't be as easy as it was for her. She had a healthy boy, at home, on the birth stool. She had a small tear that we decided to just leave alone.

February....

M, another young first time mom birthing at the center showed up a 3 with a whole entourage. We fully expected her to take all night so I brought with me a whole host of things to do. Well M apparently is more comfortable with her family than we expected and went from 4 to 8 in an hour! She spent about an hour on the birth stool but she was just beautiful. It all went really well and she had a gorgeous baby girl.

S, second baby, they chose to not find out gender She labored so beautifully! She came to the center a little early, but they wanted to settle in and get comfy. I got called around 5am. She labored slow but handled it beautifully. She would sway and breathe with each contraction and laugh and chat between them. She really was having a good time and though it took about 12 hours it was wonderful. She labored in the pool for a bit and just stretched out and laid there like she was on a tropical vacation. Then her water broke and with it came a small trickle of blood. Almost immediately she felt a very strong urge to push, she came up out of the water and we sat her on the birth stool. Heart tones were irregular and slow. She pushed hard for two or three pushes and out came her baby girl, very bloody, a little limp but all in all well. Then the blood started. It just poured out of her, like she was peeing it into the bag under the stool. I threw pads on the bed and Anne told her we needed her to lay down *NOW*. She didn't think anything was wrong and never felt light headed or anything. 3 droppers of Shepard's purse later and lots of fundal massage and she finally slowed to a reasonable amount. Within an hour her bleeding was nearly non existent.

March so far...
Marie, another young first time mom, she was very excited and optimistic about a homebirth. She called Margarett early Tues morning as contractions had started. We talked to her again around 11:30 when her water broke and there was meconium in it. We headed out right away, got there and she's a 1 with light to moderate mec. We encouraged her to get some sleep, she was obviously exhausted and having a hard time. We left to find a pool and took our time, hoping she would get a couple hours of sleep. When we got back around 3 she was still a 1, baby was still high, still a good bit of mec and heart tones were flat. By 4 we had made the decision to transfer. Baby's heart tones just were not responding and it just didn't feel good. So we went to OU where they essentially did nothing for 7hrs!! I stayed with her through the night. They didn't want to give her pitocin because of baby's heart tones, even though she was making very little progress (she dilated to a 3 by 11:30, 24hrs after her water broke) she desperately wanted and epidural as she couldn't sleep and couldn't deal with being in bed and not making any progress. They didn't want to give her an epidural for fear that her contractions would peter out. So she laid there and beg for pain relief they wouldn't give her and cried about the little progress she was making. It was heart wrenching, I felt so bad for her and helped her through the contractions as best I could. They finally gave her an epidural at 8am and I left at 9 since she was sound asleep and I needed some rest myself.
At 11:30 she called, they had decided to do a c-section. Baby's heart tones never got better, neither did the mec. There are so many things I think this hospital should have done that they didn't. I love that it is generally a non-interventive hospital, but in this case, intervention was exactly what we needed. I'm glad she had a healthy baby girl and in the end everything worked out for her.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Hi! I came across your blog back in December and have been trying to figure out a way to contact you since I could not remember my blogger password. I finally reset it today. ;) I was just wondering when you anticipate being in practice, as I live in Lawton and have extremely quick labors?

March 16, 2008 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home